Healthy lifestyle and peaceful mind is not something people can expect in this fast moving world. To stay healthy and prevent the most common disease from affecting your body, you need to know how the heart works. The heart is a muscular organ that pumps blood to the body. The heart consists of right and left sides. This division separates the oxygen-rich blood from the oxygen-poor blood. All the valves in the heart open and close each time you breathe. There are different types of cardiovascular diseases. Heart disease can be caused due to heart or blood vessel problems like building up of fatty plaques in the arteries, lack of flexibility and strength of the arteries.
Here are the top 6 home remedies for heart disease.
In western herbalism, hawthorn is a well-known herb for heart conditions because it is excellent for the cardiovascular system. It helps increase blood flow to the heart and improves cardiac muscle contractions, thus leading to a stronger pumping action.
It also helps increase cardiac performance and output, and reduces the heart’s workload. Plus, it has an anti-arrhythmic effect that helps steady the heartbeat.
You can take this herb in supplement form by way of an extract standardized to contain about 2 to 3 percent flavonoids. The general dosage is 300 to 600 mg three times daily. Follow this natural treatment for several weeks to a few months.
Note: Though this herb is safe to use, consult your doctor before taking this or any other herbal remedy.
Several studies have found garlic to be beneficial for conditions like high blood pressure, high cholesterol and coronary heart disease. It helps slow the development of atherosclerosis or hardening of the arteries. Plus, garlic improves circulation and has antithrombotic and antiplatelet aggregatory effects.
- Eat one or two freshly crushed garlic cloves daily. If you find the taste too strong, drink a glass of milk after eating the garlic.
- Alternatively, you can take garlic supplements. The general recommendation is 600 to 1,200 mg of garlic extract divided into three equal doses per day.
Note: Garlic may interfere with certain medications due to its blood-thinning properties. Consult your doctor before taking this herb.
Terminalia arjuna is an important Ayurvedic herb for heart conditions. It is considered a natural cardio-tonic and cardiac restorative. The herb strengthens the cardiac muscle, reduces arterial congestion and lowers blood pressure.
A study by researchers at Kasturba Medical College in India found that this herb helped reduce angina attacks by 30 percent. Moreover, prolonged use of this herb did not have any adverse effects.
- Add one-half teaspoon of arjuna tree bark powder and a little honey to a glass of warm water. Drink this three times daily for a few months.
- Alternatively, you can take this herb in supplement form in doses of 500 mg every eight hours daily. Continue this natural treatment for three months.
4. Chinese Hibiscus
Researchers from Taiwan found that an extract of hibiscus flowers had anti-atherosclerosis activity. They believe that hibiscus contains antioxidant compounds that help prevent the oxidation of low-density lipoprotein (LDL), or bad cholesterol, that contributes to atherosclerosis and heart disease. An infusion prepared from this herb is also believed to help regulate high blood pressure.
- Boil two petals of a hibiscus flower in one cup of water.
- Strain and add one teaspoon of raw honey.
- Drink this once daily for a few weeks.
Cayenne pepper contains a compound called capsaicin that is beneficial for treating heart and circulatory problems. It also helps reduce the risk of irregular heart rhythms and lowers cholesterol levels. The phytochemicals present in this spice also purify the blood and enhance immunity.
- Add one-half to one teaspoon of cayenne pepper to a cup of hot water. Stir well and drink it. Repeat two or three times daily for a few weeks. You can follow up with a cup of hibiscus tea to heal the burning sensation and promote heart health.
- Another option is to take cayenne supplements like cayenne capsules. Consult your doctor for the proper dosage and suitability for your case.
Studies indicate that turmeric can help prevent atherosclerosis. Turmeric has an active ingredient called curcumin that helpsmaintain heart health by reducing cholesterol oxidation, plaque buildup and clot formation.
Plus, it helps lower LDL and provides anti-inflammatory benefits. Being a potent antioxidant, it also neutralizes free radicals that contribute to aging and several chronic diseases.
- Use turmeric regularly in your cooking.
- You can also boil one teaspoon of turmeric powder in one cup of water or milk. Drink it once or twice daily for several weeks to a few months.
- Another option is to take this herb in supplement form. The general dosage is 400 to 600 mg of standardized curcumin powder supplement three times daily. Consult your doctor for the proper dosage suitable for your case.
Office Hours: Monday through Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. (By appointment)
To schedule an appointment or to arrange an after hours or weekend visit,
PLEASE CALL: 808-373-9966
CENTER FOR NATURAL HEALING
5283 Kimokeo Street
Honolulu, Hawaii 96821
*Results may vary from person to person.